Sunday, March 18, 2012

Just two eyes to see

I just returned from a few days of doing one of my favorite things - spending time with my parents, mother-in-law, nieces, nephews, daughters, and other family members.  Brian was in Kansas for a training, so I went solo.  To get there, I did one of my other favorite things - drive the highways and some back roads along the way, and take pictures to my heart's content.  It's early wildflower season in central Texas, so the roadsides were splashed with almost every hue under the rainbow.  There are many ordinary objects that become beautiful when surrounded by flowers, and the fields are full of horses, cattle and goats with their young. We celebrated the new life of my niece, Bella, who turned one month old this week.



Moments of beauty are everywhere!  New life thrives and hollers out for attention.  But there is beauty even in the middle and later times of life - the beauty of love that has survived many bumps and bruises; the beauty of seeing lives changed because your loved ones care and work and reach out; the beauty of laughter and quiet walks and shared history.

I was having a bit of difficulty with iTunes at one point on the road, and I pulled out an old CD by Rich Mullins, the gifted singer-songwriter who was killed in 1997.  His album, "A Liturgy, a Legacy, and a Ragamuffin Band," has a wonderful variety of music (including hammered dulcimer in the arrangements).  I was struck, however, by the appropriateness of the very first track, "Here In America," to my travels.  Here are a couple of the verses:


And if you listen to my songs I hope you hear the water falling
I hope you feel the oceans crashing on the coast of north New England
I wish I could be there just to see them, two summers past I was
And the Holy King of Israel loves me here in America

And if I were a painter I do not know which I'd paint
The calling of the ancient stars or assembling of the saints

And there's so much beauty around us for just two eyes to see
But everywhere I go I'm looking

Just two eyes to see, indeed. But everywhere I go, I'm looking.

P.S.  If you'd like to see photos of my journey, here's the album:



No comments:

Post a Comment