Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The brokenness of creation


In spite of all the beauty we see with our eyes, Paul tells us that the creation is fundamentally broken. In Romans 8:18-25, he writes:

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God.

We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

Most days, I don't think about creation being in bondage to decay. And I don't even think a whole lot about my own bondage, unless my joints hurt or I forget an appointment, or when I stick my foot in my mouth. But some days ... some days there are waves of bad news. Death, divorce, disease, dissension, discontent. My heart screams, "Why is this happening? Why to this person, who has honored you with a life of service?"

As I talked through those questions this week with my daughters, I thought back to when they were small. I had just delivered some news to them about a family member, and I was trying to boil the whole issue of why God's people suffer down to the elementary-school level. As I recall, we had been studying Genesis in BSF at the time, so the story of Adam and Eve's sin in the garden was still fresh on my mind. But we got to the idea of brokenness starting from the garden, moving in waves through the centuries to touch each one of us: one decision with very long-lasting consequences (Roman 5:12).  Bekah said, "I'm mad at Adam and Eve!" Every sin, every betrayal, every sickness, even death - especially death - is evidence of that breakage. And while we are often willing participants, we can't help but groan with creation while we wait for things to be made right in the world.

However, in an earlier chapter (Romans 5), Paul addresses both the breakage and the deliverance to come:
Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned—... (12)

For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ! Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people. For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous. (17-18)

I hope today you can join with me in eager expectation for the day we, along with the creation, will be brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God - a reality that may not seem obvious today, but has already been accomplished. Thanks be to God for the Obedient One!

No comments:

Post a Comment