Sunday, June 17, 2012

My dad's better than your dad

Do you remember those verbal wars with your friends over whose dad was the best dad? I can recall some heated arguments on that subject from so many years ago. And, quite frankly, I would go to the mat on it even now.

My dad with his parents and sister
My dad was born to J.P. and Lizzie Young in Plainview, Texas. He had one sister, twelve years older, and a host of aunts, uncles, and cousins. They spent time in Abernathy, then Carlsbad, and then moved to Mancos, Colorado when he was a teenager. They ran cattle, raised hay and feed, rode horses, maintained a series of irrigation ditches around the property, and had a large garden, so there was always plenty to do!

Dad celebrated his first Father's Day a month shy of his 21st birthday. My brother, Jay, was born about 18 months later. So he and Mom did what most of us do - they learned their parenting through the school of hard knocks. I was pretty much born talking and running amok, then when Jay came along it was times two.
Over the years, my dad did lots of things. He worked on the ranch with his father; he ran vending machines for his father-in-law; he moved to Brenham to work in urban renewal during a time of great racial and social change; he bought a struggling business and made it work. On the side, he served as an elder and deacon, coached my brother's little league team, sat through many a band concert, and taught us to ski during family vacations. Now that he's in the "second half" of his life, as it were, he leads Faith Mission, a ministry in Brenham that provides a broad array of social services to individuals in Washington County - a role that is the culmination of so many experiences.

When I married Brian 29 years ago and gave birth to Katie five years later, I saw my parents transformed by the experience of grandparenthood. There is something very beautiful about seeing the love you experienced for your whole life multiplied and poured out on your own children. Katie and Bekah now have a rich and full relationship with them both.  What a blessing! I saw Dad rock, hold, tickle, make popcorn, take them fishing, make swings and merry-go-rounds, and be the encouragement to my girls that he always was to me.

Katie with Grandy - popcorn time!

Bekah playing with Grandy
Dad has taught me many things, but here are just a few.
  • There are always two sides to everything.
  • Even when you don't feel beautiful on the outside, a father's love can see you through it.
  • Love God and look for Him in Christians of all flavors - you'll find precious believers everywhere if you'll just be available and open.
  • Love your spouse, and keep laughter in your marriage.
  • Be a person of integrity - if you promise to do something, do it.
This Father's Day I also celebrate the father that Brian has been to our daughters over these many years. He has endured girl drama to the max and managed to retain his sense of humor.  Brian did many of those same things that my dad did. He's been a trooper through piano and dance recitals, band and choir concerts, plays, movie musicals, and basketball games. He's taken the girls on dates as they grew up so that they could have special time with him and see what kind of treatment they should expect from their future boyfriends and husbands. He demanded respect from them toward me as his wife. He's taught them how to build models and change tires and love God.  I am so very thankful for the man he is and for all he continues to do to bless all of his girls.




 
So, Dad - and Brian - please know how grateful I am for you both, and for your fathers and grandfathers who helped show you the way(Psalm 78:1-8). Thanks to you, new generations of Christ-followers are here, and there are many more yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment