Monday, October 22, 2012

Standing on the promises

You know how God sometimes arranges a sequence of events so that you’re bombarded with a particular theme from a variety of sources? That’s recently happened to me. Our kids on Wednesday nights are studying this whole year on the covenants of God; last month we studied about Noah, this month about Abraham, so I’ve been looking at clip art to help the children associate their memory verses to God’s promises. Last week Jonathan Storment from Highland spoke in chapel about the Noah story, though in a somewhat different context, and this week Justin Hatfield spoke on the covenant with Abraham. OK, OK, I get it!

The big attention-getter for me came about ten days ago. Brian and I took a quick trip to Angel Fire, NM to rest, read, and rejuvenate. The scenery there is lovely and teeming with wildlife. We experienced everything from sun to thunderstorms to snow during our four days there. I had the opportunity to see the “signs” of God’s promises in nature. Here are a few examples:
 

And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. (Gen. 8:12-15)
Then the word of the Lord came to him: “This man will not be your heir, but a son who is your own flesh and blood will be your heir.” He took him outside and said, “Look up at the sky and count the stars—if indeed you can count them.” Then he said to him, “So shall your offspring be.” (Gen. 15:4-5)
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?..... But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (Matt. 6:25-27, 33)
The same God who keeps those promises is faithful to keep them all. There are days I need to remember some more than others! Here are a few of my favorites – I hope you’ll add yours to the comments below.  
God's constant presence:  Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” (Heb. 13:5-6)
God's plan for our future:  Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going. (John 14:1-4) 
God's rest:  Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. (Matt. 11:28-29) 
God's grace when I'm weak:  But [God] said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. (2 Cor. 12:9) 
God's protection: Jesus said, "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand." (John 10:27-30, NLT) 
God's peace:  I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. (John 16:33, NIV) 
God's help when I am afraid: 
Don’t be afraid. I am with you.
Don’t tremble with fear.
I am your God.
I will make you strong,
as I protect you with my arm
and give you victories. (Is. 41:10, CEV)
Remembering what God has done in the past gives us a quiet confidence in what He will do in our present and future. Thanks be to God!


1 comment:

  1. You already took mine!! John 10:27-30. I have always loved that verse on so many levels--- that God protects me, those I love, and these sweet children I teach. I love the imagery of knowing Jesus's voice and being given into His hand. Love your blog sweet Rendi!!

    ReplyDelete