Monday, May 14, 2012

Shouting in the darkness

On Sunday, I had the privilege of worshipping with the community at Christ's Church of Joplin. My brother has attended there close to 20 years and plays bass in the worship band. It was one of those Sundays where God so orchestrated the musical word and the spoken word that the core message was hammered home over and over, and it was a theme that resonated with our family. I wish you could have been there with me! Here are just a few things from a rich and full morning.
Let our shout be your anthem,
Your renown fills the skies.
We are here for You,
We are here for You.
Let Your word move in power,
Let what's dead come to life.
We are here for You,
We are here for You.
(from "Here For You" by Matt Maher, Matt Redman, Tim Wanstall & Jesse Reeves)

Higher than the mountains that I face
Stronger than the power of the grave
Constant in the trial and the change
One thing remains
One thing remains

Your love never fails, never gives up
Never runs out on me

In death, in life, I'm confident and covered
By the power of Your great love
My debt is paid, there's nothing that can separate
My heart from Your great love
(From "One Thing Remains (Love Never Fails)" - by Brian Johnson, Jeremy Riddle, Christa Black Riddle, Bethel Music Publishing 2010)
You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. For, "In just a little while, he who is coming will come and will not delay." And, "But my righteous one will live by faith. And I take no pleasure in the one who shrinks back." But we do not belong to those who shrink back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved.(Hebrews 10:37-39)

You stood before my failure
And carried the cross for my shame
My sin weighed up on Your shoulders
My soul now to stand

So what can I say and what can I do
But offer this heart, O God, completely to You?

So I'll walk upon salvation
Your Spirit alive in me
My life to declare Your promise
My soul now to stand

So I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One who gave it all
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to you surrendered
All I am is yours 
("The Stand" by Joel Houston)

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39


My God is strong enough to raise me from the grave
Your love is great enough to take away my shame
Your mercy reigns

My God is making new the wreckage of my heart
Your hand is reaching down to pull me from the dark

Your mercy reigns, Your mercy covers me
Your grace sustains, Your grace is all I need

Your Spirit is my strength to overcome the past
I set my eyes on You and find a grace that lasts

I'm forgiven, washed inside a love that never lets go
You never let go 
("Mercy Reigns" by Chris Brown, Mark Bock and Wade Joye (2010 Elevation Publishing)

 
Tim Chambers, long-time pastor at Christ's Church, spoke a brief word. He talked about how his marriage to his wife, Mary, was initially an intellectual and emotional decision, but that over time that relationship changed. Then he related that to our first coming to Christ and His church - over time we move from what was once an intellectual or emotional decision, to an interactive relationship where Christ comes among us, speaking words of consolation and reaffirmation. There's a sweetness to it that wasn't there in the beginning. Finally, the main sermon spoke of the question beneath the question of why God allows suffering in the world - does God, or anyone else, really care if I'm hurting? Pain and suffering drives us straight into the arms of the God who suffers with us (Heb. 2:18, among other verses), and it compels Christians to tangibly give comfort, a listening ear, and aid to those who suffer around us.

What I saw happening during my time with Christ's Church was exactly that. I've experienced the same at Minter Lane. Do you have hurts? We are here with you. Are you suffering defeat? Christ is here with you. Consolation, solidarity, re-orientation and re-focus on God's very present help in times of trouble - you can find these things here, in community with strugglers just like you (and me). Together, we shout in the darkness: "I'm confident and covered by the power of your great love!" Amen and amen.



p.s. Dear friends, thank you for your prayers.  You are the hands and feet and loving arms of Jesus to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment